Burdock interaction with Drugs
Interaction refers to risk that could develop inside the human body when two or more drugs, products interact with one another. This could result in certain unwanted health conditions.
Natural products such as myrrh might be harmful when consumed as a medicine amount like supplements. If an individual is medicating with certain medical drugs to treat any condition, there might be a possibility of interaction between those drugs and burdock. This could cause complications in the condition that is to be treated or could result in new unwanted conditions. Such interacting medical drugs include:
- Antidiabetic Drug– Antidiabetic medicines are used to lower the blood sugar level of the body. Myrrh might also lower the sugar level. Combination of both these medical agents could increase the risk of blood sugar level getting abnormally low which could cause complications. Such antidiabetic drugs include glimepiride (Amaryl), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), tolbutamide (Orinase), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase). Also, metformin (Glucophage), rosiglitazone (Avandia), glipizide (Glucotrol), and several others
- Antiplatelet/Anticoagulant drugs– Intake of black pepper along with drugs that resist blood clotting could increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. Drugs that decreases blood clotting includes clopidogrel (Plavix), enoxaparin (Lovenox), warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, dalteparin (Fragmin), heparin, ticlopidine (Ticlid), and several others.
There could be several other medicines causing interaction with Burdock in an unusual manner. It is recommended to consult a doctor or health professional to get complete information regarding rosemary and its safety with any other interacting drug.
Precautions and warnings before using Burdock
Although being a natural herb that is used for a number of medical and food applications, there are certain medical conditions in a human body in which intake of Burdock must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Interference of this herb could result in worsening of certain medical conditions or might cause other unwanted conditions. Such medical conditions includes:
- Pregnancy– There is not sufficient information and evidence regarding safety of burdock during pregnancy. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid or at least discuss its safety with a doctor before medicating with burdock.
- Breastfeeding– While on breastfeeding stage, a woman must avoid consuming burdock as it is unsafe. This is concluded due to lack of information regarding its safety during breastfeeding conditions.
- Surgery– Burdock might increase the risk of bleeding during or post surgery when consumed in a larger amount. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid consuming it for at least 2 weeks before undergoing any surgery.
- Allergy– People having an allergy to burdock or to any of the plants that belong to the Asteraceae/Compositae family, must avoid consuming burdock to avoid its allergic reactions.
- Diabetes– According to several pieces of evidence, consuming burdock might cause a decline in blood sugar level. An individual must keep a daily check on their blood sugar level while consuming burdock.
Side effects of using Burdock
Interaction of burdock with several medical drugs and no precautionary actions against several medical conditions might cause certain unusual or allergic side effects and condition in a human body that includes:
- skin rashes
- low blood sugar level
- increased risk of bleeding/bruising
- allergic reactions
There could be more side effects not mentioned in the above list. An individual must make sure to consume burdock with proper precaution and avoid interaction in order to prevent side effects. However if side effects are observed, it is advisable to contact a doctor or get immediate medical attention as soon as possible if necessary.
- This natural plant and its products are expected to interact with several medicines of different drug categories causing more harmful effects to the body.
- Individuals dealing with certain medical conditions must discuss with a doctor before consuming burdock as it may cause worsening of conditions or could develop new unwanted conditions.
- Drug interactions and medical conditions might cause several side effects and allergic reactions in the body while consuming Burdock which must be informed to the doctor if they persist or get worse.
For more details, kindly visit below.