Chromium and its use in a human body
Chromium is one of the most important trace minerals that a human body needs in a very small amount. There are two types of chromium available in the nature i.e. Trivalent Chromium 3+ and Hexavalent chromium 6+. Trivalent Chromium 3+ is the beneficial and safe mineral that a human body needs to perform multiple tasks while Hexavalent chromium 6+ is considered toxic and unsafe for humans as it results in several health conditions and issues.
Chromium is necessary for metabolism of proteins, carbs, fats, carbohydrates, lipids, etc, by strengthening the production and action of insulin inside the body. It is a kind of substance that a human body needs in a tiny amount but is associated with several vital functions in the body.
Chromium is also used for blood sugar levels in people dealing with type 1, type 2, prediabetes and also helps in treating high blood pressure caused due to intake of steroids and HIV treatments. Weight loss and managing high cholesterol are some of the additional uses of Chromium in a human body.
Natural Sources of Chromium for a human body
Chromium is a kind of mineral that a human body is unable to produce on its own. Therefore, consumption of food that is rich in chromium is necessary so that function associated with this mineral could work properly. Chromium is available in a number of natural food products that are categories such as fruits, vegetables, spices, meats, nuts, grains, brewer’s yeast, beverages, etc. Some of the natural source products of these categories include:
- Whole wheat
- Grape juice
- brazil nuts
- english muffin
- Green beans
- turkey breast
- orange juice
- tomato juice
- peanut butter
Chromium Benefits in a Human Body
Chromium is associated with a number of health benefits by acting directly or by assisting certain medicines or conditions to reduce symptoms or prevent it. Some of the important benefits include:
- Metabolism of micronutrients
- treat diabetes and prediabetes
- polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- may help in long term depression
- helps in heart attack
- assist in binge eating and bipolar disorder
- decreases body fat
- increases muscle gain
- prevent mental decline due to aging
- useful in turner’s syndrome
- lowers bad cholesterol
- helps in metabolic syndrome
- treat schizophrenia
- improves energy and athletic performance
- Chromium is one of the most abundant minerals that is necessary for a human body in a very limited quantity.
- There are two types of chromium namely Trivalent Chromium 3+ and Hexavalent chromium 6+. Trivalent chromium 3+ is essential and consumed by humans.
- Chromium is associated with a number of beneficial health benefits.
For more details, kindly visit below.