Is there a link between Sleep apnea and ED?
Sleep disorder is a condition that interfere with your normal sleeping pattern. As per reports and data, there are probably more than 80 different types of sleep disorder. Some of the major types include:
- Sleep Apnea – A sleeping disorder that causes you to stop breathing for more than 10 seconds at a time
- Insomnia – The most common types of sleep disorder is Insomnia. An individual is unable to fall sleep or unable to stay asleep.
- Circadian rhythm disorders – This disorder deals with problem in sleep-wake cycle. It makes difficult for an individual to sleep and wakeup at usual time.
- Parasomnia – This disorder makes an individual to act weird when they sleep, during sleep, and when they wakeup. Such weird acts include walking, talking, and eating.
- Hypersomnia – This disorder makes an individual unable of staying awake during daytime. This disorder causes extreme sleepiness during daytime which includes narcolepsy.
It is possible for some people to have a sleep disorder if they feel tired during the day. However, the real problem is the time to allow enough sleep for an individual daily.
Cause of sleep disorder
That are different factors that causes or acts as a factor that contributes sleep disorder such as:
- Mental illnesses, including depression and anxiety
- Heart disease, lung disease, nerve disorder, and pain
- alcohol and caffeine
- night shifts
- aging, etc.
What is Erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is basically a disorder found in men which could be a sign of physical or psychological condition. The symptoms associated with this disorder is found in men’s reproductive organ i.e. inability to keep an erection firmer and longer enough during a sexual activity.
Erectile dysfunction is a treatable disorder which includes many possible methods such as natural remedies, alternative medicine, and prescription drugs. In this article, let us discuss about some faster ways to treat this disorder.
There are many men who experience erectile dysfunction occasionally because of stress, fatigue, alcohol, or emotional issues, but 25% of men have recurring episodes of the disorder. People dealing with erectile dysfunction will be:
- Unable to achieve erection at anytime needed.
- might achieve erection sometime but not when needed like during sexual activity.
- might able to achieve erection when needed but not long enough
Link between sleep apnea and Erectile dysfunction
There may be a connection between the two i.e. sleep apnea and testosterone levels. A study found that people with sleep apnea have lower levels of testosterone, a hormone that is essential for sexual function.
What does the research say?
Studies have shown that men suffering from obstructive sleep apnea have a higher probability of suffering from ED, and vice versa. According to a 2009 report Journal of Sexual Medicine study, 69 percent of male participants had ED who were also diagnosed with OSA.
The results of a study published in 2016 showed that 63 percent of study participants with sleep apnea suffered from erectile dysfunction. Comparatively, ED was diagnosed in only 47 percent of men in the study without OSA.
Additionally, according to a survey conducted in 2016, over 120 men with ED reported sleep apnea symptoms 55 percent of the time. There was also a higher chance that men with ED had other undiagnosed sleep disorders.
Sleep apnea causing erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction and sleep apnea are two conditions that are very different but very closely related. It is possible to diagnose each of these conditions with a variety of blood tests and clinical assessments, but each diagnosis begins with a discussion with a healthcare professional. Get in touch with your healthcare provider if you are experiencing symptoms of either condition.
There is a possibility that you will be asked about your personal, family, and sexual health histories. In addition, blood tests can help determine the balance of chemicals within your body. Certain sleep studies might be suggested by your doctor for sleep apnea, whereas, certain tests based on anatomy and functions are used for diagnosis of erectile dysfunction which includes X-rays and other imaging studies.
Sleep apnea, especially obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), is the most common type. It’s a potentially serious disorder. Sleep apnea is characterized by the repeated cessation of breathing during sleep. Sleeping is difficult for them because they snore a lot.
It is possible for sleep disorders to affect testosterone levels and oxygen levels. There are a number of issues that can result from that, including erectile dysfunction (ED). Obstructive sleep apnea men have a higher incidence of ED than men without the disorder, but doctors aren’t certain why.
For more details, kindly visit below.