Interactions of Cilantro with Drugs
Interaction refers to a potential risk that could develop when two or more drugs or products, interact with one another. This could result in certain unwanted health conditions. Cilantro is generally safe and an ideal condition.
However, there are certain medical drug categories that could interact with Cilantro that includes:
- Antidiabetic drug– Diabetes medications are generally used to treat high blood sugar levels. Cilantro might also lower the blood sugar level of the body. Interaction between both might cause the blood sugar level to fall more than usual which could result in complications. It is advisable to adjust the dosing between these two and keep daily monitoring on your blood sugar level. Such Antidiabetic medications include glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), pioglitazone (Actos), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), tolbutamide (Orinase). Also, glimepiride (Amaryl), insulin, rosiglitazone (Avandia), glipizide (Glucotrol), and others, are included.
- CNS depressants– Central Nervous System depressants such as sedatives and tranquilizers are known to cause dizziness and drowsiness when consumed. Similar effects may be observed while consuming Cilantro. Consuming both the drug together may cause dizziness and drowsiness that will be more effective than usual. It is advisable to adjust the dosing between them to avoid any complications. Such sedative medications include lorazepam (Ativan), zolpidem (Ambien), phenobarbital (Donnatal), and several others.
- Antihypertensive Drug– Cilantro might stimulate and decrease the blood pressure of the body. As antihypertensive drugs possess the same effect with higher effectiveness, consumption of both may cause abnormal decrease in blood pressure which could result in complex hypotensive conditions. It is advisable to adjust the dosing between them to prevent complications. Such antihypertensive drugs include enalapril (Vasotec), valsartan (Diovan), Amlodipine (Norvasc), furosemide (Lasix), captopril (Capoten), losartan (Cozaar), diltiazem (Cardizem), hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDiuril), and several others.
Medication with photositizingdrugs(drugs that increase sensitivity to sunlight) might also interact with Cilantro. An individual must discuss every detail of medication that is consumed for any medical reason with a health professional.
Precautions and warnings of using Cilantro
Although being a natural herb that is used for a number of medical and flavoring applications, there are certain medical conditions in a human body in which intake of cilantro must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Cilantro intake may interfere, making itself worse thereby resulting in further consequences of uch medical conditions that includes:
- Pregnancy– There is not enough scientific evidence regarding the safety of a pregnant woman or nursing child when cilantro is consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid consuming cilantro during pregnancy or consult a doctor regarding its potential risk if its consumption is necessary.
- Breastfeeding– There is not enough scientific evidence regarding the safety of a breastfeeding woman or nursing child when cilantro is consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid consuming cilantro during breastfeeding.
- Diabetes– Cilantro is expected to reduce blood sugar level of the body. If an individual is diagnosed with diabetes, it is advisable to keep daily monitoring on sugar level while consuming cilantro.
- Hypotension- People dealing with low blood pressure must use cilantro with caution as this natural herb is expected to reduce blood pressure of the body.
- Allergies– It is important to inform the doctor regarding allergies that an individual might be having from cilantro, any of cilantro’s family members, or any other allergies before using cilantro.
- Surgery– Cilantro is expected to lower blood sugar level, it is advisable to avoid consuming cilantro 2 weeks before undergoing any surgery to avoid complications post surgery.
Side effects of using Cilantro
Cilantro is generally safe when taken as a food amount. However, there are several allergic and overdose reaction which an individual may observe such as:
- nasal swelling
- swelling inside the mouth
- low blood sugar level
- low blood pressure
It is advisable to consult a doctor regarding all the possible side effects associated with Cilantro and inform the doctor or get immediate medical attention as soon as an individual identifies any of those effects.
- Due to cilantro interaction with several medical drugs, it is recommended to consult a doctor to avoid any harmful interaction when cilantro is consumed with several drugs.
- There are several conditions in a human body in which precocious use of cilantro is necessary to avoid worsening of ongoing medical conditions.
- Such interaction with drug or medical conditions could lead to several side effects which must be informed to the doctor if observed.
For more details, kindly visit below.