What is Calcium Deficiency?
Calcium deficiency is an unfortunate condition that occurs in your body due to low calcium levels. There are generally two types of calcium deficiency namely Dietary calcium deficiency and Hypocalcemia.
Dietary Calcium Deficiency
In this type, deficiency of calcium is caused in a body due to less intake of calcium through daily diet. This leads to several bone diseases such as Bone thinning, Bone weakening, Osteoporosis, etc.
In this type, deficiency of calcium takes place due to low calcium level in your blood. This can happen due to interaction of certains medications or certain medical conditions such as Hypoparathyroidism or renal failure.
Ideally, a person is unlikely to get diagnosed with calcium deficiency within proper diet and routine checkup, however, there are a number of unusual effects involved when a body falls deficiency to calcium. Such conditions include:
- Spasm on hands and feets called tetany,
- Abdominal cramps,
- Poor bone mineralization,
- Highly irritable nervous system,
- Muscle cramp,
- Overactive reflexes,
- Osteomalacia i.e. bone softening,
- Ricket and impaired growth in childrens, etc.
Calcium supplements consist of salts of calcium that is generally used when there is not enough calcium consumption through a daily diet. These synthetic supplements maintain or improve the calcium level of your body so that several unusual effects of calcium deficiency could be prevented such as osteoporosis, weakening of bones, etc.
A beneficial amount of calcium supplement must be calculated based on an individual’s age, medical conditions, and diet. A quality supplement of calcium is necessary for any individual which is available in mygenericpharmacy with known brand names.
How much Calcium do you need daily?
The amount of calcium required for an individual depends upon their age group and medical conditions, irrespective of their gender under general circumstances. The following is the classification of calcium intake for an individual.
- babies upto 6 months of age need 200 mg of calcium per day
- babies between 6-12 months old need 260 mg of calcium daily
- toddlers between 1-3 years need 700mg of calcium everyday
- children between 3-6 years old require 0.97mg of calcium per day
- children between 6-10 years demands 1.12mg of calcium per day
- children between 10-12 years need 1.4mg per day of calcium
- 1.82 of calcium per day is needed for teenager between 12-15 years
- male above 15 years need 1.97 calcium per day
- female above 15 years need 1.54 calcium per day
- a pregnant woman needs 2.27mg/day while a lactating woman needs 2.89mg of calcium daily.
Toxicity of Calcium:
Taking moderate calcium doses daily is generally considered safe. However, high doses of calcium supplement for a longer period of time could result in high levels of calcium in your blood called Hypercalcemia. This condition results in a number of unusual symptoms such as:
- frequent urination,
- muscle pain,
- loss of appetite,
- abdominal pain,
- difficulty in thinking,
- bone pain, etc.
Seek medical attention right away if you notice such toxic effects while taking calcium supplements.
For more details, kindly visit below: