Chromium supplement is a synthetic medicine that has a primary role of treating deficiency of chromium. There are several forms of chromium supplement in the market out of which chromium picolinate is considered the best due to its tolerability and ability to get absorbed easily. It is generally available and is a widely and commonly used supplement.
Chromium Picolinate is one of the most common chromium supplements that is used to treat deficiency of chromium in a human body. The amount of supplement intake is generally based on an individual’s age, medical conditions, and daily diet. People also take chromium picolinate as an alternative therapy to control blood sugar level, lose weight, and lower cholesterol level. However, Picolinate is a kind of supplement that is not totally approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Therefore, the medication must be done under supervision of a doctor or medical professional.
Are there any side effects of using Chromium Picolinate?
Although the supplement is an alternative for natural chromium roles and responsibilities in a human body, there are a number of side effects involved with this medicine that associated mild to severe allergic reactions with common and rare nature such as:
- Insomnia (Sleeping problem)
- troubled concentration
- balance or coordination disorder
- upper stomach pain
- mental/mood changes
- loss of appetite
- clay colored stool
There could be more side effects which must be informed to the doctor right away if an individual observes during supplement medication.
Precautions of using Picolinate
Apart from several side effects, it is recommended to inform a doctor regarding all the medical conditions and medicines the individual must be taking before consuming Chromium picolinate. There are several condition where chromium picolinate must be avoided such as:
- kidney diseases
- leather product allergies
- thyroid disorders
- liver diseases
- diabetes and diagnosed to insulin use
- mental illness
- consuming steroid medicines such as beclomethasone, fluticasone. prednisone, and others.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding condition:
- There is not enough evidence or research regarding effects of picolinate on a pregnant woman and the unborn child. Therefore, it is unknown whether the medicine could harm the baby or not. It is advisable to use this supplement only under doctor’s supervision.
- Chromium picolinate is expected to pass into the breastmilk and may harm the nursing child. It is recommended to avoid medicating with this supplement when breastfeeding the baby.
- The Amount of chromium necessary for an individual generally depends upon the age, medical condition, gender, and diet.
- There are a number of different forms of chromium supplements out of which chromium picolinate is most commonly used.
- Picolinate must be used with proper care as it is involved with a number of adverse side effects.
- There are several medical conditions and medicine that must be informed to the doctor before medicating with Chromium Picolinate.
- A pregnant woman must consume picolinate only under medical supervision whereas a breastfeeding woman must avoid intake of this supplement as it can harm the nursing child.
For more details, kindly visit below.