Can high doses of Cumin cause Miscarriage?
Cumin interaction with Drugs
Interaction of a substance generally refers to a potential risk that could develop inside the human body when two or more drugs, products, or medical conditions, interact with one another in a negative manner that could result in certain unwanted health conditions.
Natural products such as Cumin are generally considered safe when taken in food amounts but might be harmful when consumed as a medicine amount like supplements. If an individual is medicating with certain medical drugs to treat any condition, there might be a possibility of interaction between those drugs and this herb or its supplement. This could cause complications in the condition that is to be treated or could result in new unwanted conditions. Such interacting medical drugs include:
- Antiplatelet/Anticoagulant drugs– Intake of cumin along with drugs that resist blood clotting could increase the risk of bruising and bleeding due to lower blood clotting than usual. Drugs that decreases the blood clotting includes clopidogrel (Plavix), enoxaparin (Lovenox), warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, dalteparin (Fragmin), heparin, ticlopidine (Ticlid), and several others.
- Antidiabetic Drug– Antidiabetic medicines are used to lower the blood sugar level of the body. Cumin might also decrease the blood sugar level of the body. Combination of both might result in abnormally low blood sugar levels than usual causing complications. It is recommended to keep a frequent check on the blood sugar level when consuming Cumin along with antidiabetic drugs or avoid it. Such antidiabetic drugs include glimepiride (Amaryl), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), tolbutamide (Orinase), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), metformin (Glucophage), rosiglitazone (Avandia), glipizide (Glucotrol), and several others.
- Rifampin– Consuming cumin might increase the absorption rate of rifampin by the body. This could result in increased risk of side effects or any other unwanted effects in the body.
Precautions and warnings before using Cumin
Although being a natural herb that is used for a number of medical applications, there are certain medical conditions in a human body in which intake of Cumin must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Interference of this herb could result in worsening of certain medical conditions or might cause other unwanted conditions. Such medical conditions includes:
- Pregnancy– Cumin is commonly considered safe during pregnancy when consumed in a food amount. However, a pregnant woman must avoid consuming cumin due to lack of information regarding its safety when consumed in a supplement amount during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding– There is not enough evidence regarding safety of mother or nursing child while breastfeeding and consuming Cumin. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid using this herb during breastfeeding.
- Bleeding disorder– Intake of Cumin could resist blood clotting and could increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. People diagnosed with bleeding disorder tend to have an increased risk of more bleeding than usual while consuming Cumin.
- Surgery– Consuming cumin might interfere with blood sugar level and bleeding. This could make the condition worse during and post surgery. It is instructed to avoid consuming cumin 2-3 weeks before undergoing any surgery.
Side effects of using Cumin
Interaction of Cumin with several medical drugs and no precautionary actions against several medical conditions might cause certain unusual or allergic side effects and condition in a human body that includes:
- upset stomach
- mental clouding
- might decrease testosterone level
- low blood sugar level
- stomach pain
- liver damage
- heavy menstruation
Taking cumin may lead to men becoming less fertile, as researchers have found it suppresses testosterone levels. Women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant should be mindful that cumin has been used by some cultures as a method of causing miscarriage.
There could be more side effects not mentioned in the above list. An individual must make sure to consume Cumin with proper precaution and avoid interaction in order to prevent side effects. However if side effects are observed, it is advisable to contact a doctor or get immediate medical attention as soon as possible if necessary.
For more details, kindly visit below.