Interactions of Dill with Medical drugs
Interaction of a substance generally refers to a potential risk that could develop inside the human body when two or more drugs, products, or medical conditions, interact with one another in a negative manner that could result in certain unwanted health conditions.
Dill is a natural herb that is generally safe when consumed as a food amount. However, there are several medical drug categories whose medicines might interact with dill inside the body causing complications which must be considered. uch medical drugs include:
- Lithium– Lithium is one of the important minerals that a human body needs daily. Dill could act as a diuretic and could affect the disposal of lithium from the body. This increases the risk of high lithium levels in the body resulting in unusual side effects. Therefore, it is advisable to consult a doctor regarding the dosing schedule between lithium and Dill to avoid complications.
- Antidiabetic Drug– Antidiabetic medicines are used to lower the blood sugar level of the body. The extract of dill might also lower the sugar level. Combination of both these medical agents could increase the risk of blood sugar level getting abnormally low which could cause complications. Such antidiabetic drugs include glimepiride (Amaryl), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), tolbutamide (Orinase), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), metformin (Glucophage), rosiglitazone (Avandia), glipizide (Glucotrol), and several others.
There could be several other medicines interacting with DIll in an unusual manner. It is recommended to consult a doctor or health professional to get complete information regarding dill interactions with any drug.
Precautions and warnings before using Dill
Although being a natural herb that is used for a number of medical and flavoring applications, there are certain medical conditions in a human body in which intake of Dill must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Interference of dill with medical conditions could result in worsening of such medical conditions that includes:
- Breastfeeding– There is not enough scientific evidence regarding the safety of a breastfeeding woman or nursing child when Dill is consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid consuming Dill during breastfeeding or discuss it with a doctor.
- Pregnancy– Consuming dill during pregnancy is likely to be considered as unsafe. Dill could start menstruation in a pregnant woman which could result in miscarriage. Therefore, a pregnant woman must strictly avoid consuming dill in such a condition.
- Diabetes– Dill is expected to reduce blood sugar level of the body. If an individual is diagnosed with diabetes, it is advisable to keep daily monitoring on their sugar level while consuming cilantro.
- Surgery– Dill is expected to lower blood sugar level, it is advisable to avoid consuming Dill at least 2 weeks before undergoing any surgery to avoid complications during or post surgery.
- Underactive thyroid– People dealing with underactive thyroid deals with less production of thyroid hormones. Consuming dill as a medicine might also reduce thyroid hormone level of the body. Combination of these two might result in abnormal decrease in thyroid level which increases the risk of further complications. It is advisable to avoid or at least consult a doctor before consuming dill when diagnosed with underactive thyroid.
- Allergy– Consuming dill might cause unusual and severe allergy in people who are allergic to dill or any of its family members that includes caraway, coriander, asafoetida, fennel, etc.
Side effects of using Dill
Dill is a kind of natural herb that is likely to be safe when consumed in a normal condition. However, due to certain interactions and medical conditions, dill is associated with several side effects that includes:
- skin irritation
- sensitive to sunlight
- low blood pressure
- low sugar level
- easy bleeding/bruising
- low thyroid gland
- unsafe for unborn child
- increase in lithium level
It is advisable to consult a doctor regarding all the possible side effects associated with Cilantro and inform the doctor or get immediate medical attention as soon as an individual identifies any of those effects.
- Although being a natural herb, dill is associated with interaction by several medical drugs.
- Also, there are several medical conditions in a human body during which dill must be consumed carefully with precautions.
- There are several side effects that are caused due to interaction or medical condition in a human body which an individual must inform to the doctor as soon as identified.
For more details, kindly visit below.