Red clover interaction with Drugs
Interaction of a substance generally refers to a potential risk that could develop inside the human body when two or more drugs, products, or medical conditions, interact with one another in a negative manner that could result in certain unwanted health conditions.
Natural products such as red clover are generally considered safe when taken in food amounts but might be harmful when consumed as a medicine amount like supplements. If an individual is medicating with certain medical drugs to treat any condition, there might be a possibility of interaction between those drugs and Red clover. This could cause complications in the condition that is to be treated or could result in new unwanted conditions. Such interacting medical drugs include:
- Antiplatelet/Anticoagulant drugs– Intake of red clover along with drugs that resist blood clotting could increase the risk of bruising and bleeding due to lower blood clotting than usual. Drugs that decreases the blood clotting includes clopidogrel (Plavix), enoxaparin (Lovenox), warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, dalteparin (Fragmin), heparin, ticlopidine (Ticlid), and several others.
- Estrogen– A high amount of red clover might cause similar effects as that of estrogen. Consuming red clover along with estrogen might decrease the effects of estrogen in the body.
- Methotrexate– Consuming red clover might increase the methotrexate level in the body. Intake of red cloves along with additional methotrexate might increase the methotrexate level higher than usual which increases the risk of side effects.
- Tamoxifen– Consuming red clove might result in decreased effects of tamoxifen. It is advisable to avoid red clove while using tamoxifen.
There are also some minor interaction of Red Cloves along with several other drugs such as:
Cytochrome P450 2C19 (CYP2C19), Cytochrome P450 2C9 (CYP2C9), Cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP21A2), Cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4), Caffeine, etc.
Precautions and warnings before using Red Clover
Although being a natural herb, there are certain medical conditions in a human body. In these conditions, intake of funnel must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Interference of this herb could result in worsening of certain medical conditions or might cause other unwanted conditions. Such medical conditions includes:
- Pregnancy– Red clover is commonly considered safe during pregnancy when consumed in a food amount. However, a pregnant woman must avoid consuming red clover in larger amounts as it affects a natural hormone called estrogen which might be harmful for the mother or the nursing child.
- Breastfeeding– Red clover is commonly considered safe during breastfeeding for both mother and the baby, when consumed in a food amount. However, a breastfeeding woman must avoid consuming red clover in larger amounts as it affects a natural hormone called estrogen which might be harmful for the mother or the nursing child.
- Hormone sensitive– Red clover is expected to act like a natural hormone called estrogen. If an individual is dealing with any medical condition that might get worse with estrogen, do not consume Red clover.
Side effects of using Red Clover
Interaction of red clover with several medical drugs and no precautionary actions against several medical conditions might cause certain unusual or allergic side effects and condition in a human body that includes:
- Vaginal bleeding
- irregular menstrual periods
- weight gain
- low sex drive
- mood changes
- breast tenderness
There could be more side effects not mentioned in the above list. An individual must make sure to consume red clover with proper precaution and avoid interaction in order to prevent side effects. However if side effects are observed, it is advisable to contact a doctor or get immediate medical attention as soon as possible if necessary.
For more details, kindly vsit below.