When a body does not receive the necessary amount of Iodine i.e. the level of this nutrient in the body declines, such a deficit condition is termed as deficiency of iodine. As the primary function of Iodine is to produce thyroid hormones, low amounts of iodine generally results in Hypothyroidism i.e. a condition where your body cannot make enough thyroid hormone. Iodine deficiency is associated with a number of growth and development effects in humans as well as in animals. Some of the adverse effect of iodine deficiency are:
- impaired mental function
- reduction in work productivity
- infant mortality
- congenital anomalies
- perinatal mortality
- still birth
- endemic cretinism
- dry skin
- weight gain
- cold intolerance
- hair weakness and loss
- difficulty in swallowing
- brain fog
- If an individual is running low on Iodine level due to a malnutrition diet or any other reason, it is recommended to consume supplements rich in iodine to fill up the necessary iodine intake of the body. Generally, supplements rich in Iodine are used for treating hypothyroidism. These sup[plements make sure that your body gets enough of iodine to produce thyroid hormones for proper function and activity of the thyroid gland.
- The amount of intake for Iodine supplement is directly based on your diet, age group, and medical condition. It is advisable to consult a health professional before consuming supplements of Iodine. Excessive amounts of Iodine in the body has its own adverse effects on an individual’s body which must be avoided.
Toxicity of Iodine
As deficiency of Iodine consists of a number of medical effects in your body, similarly, more amount of iodine that necessarily associates its own several adverse conditions. Iodine has a huge impact on thyroid activity. Too much of this mineral has similar effects as iodine deficiency such as goiters and thyroid problems.
If a body consist of a very high iodine level, this causes poiing that results in symptoms such as
- fever and rash
- abdominal pain
- weak pulse
- burning of throat, stomach, and mouth
- gum and tooth soreness
- low appetite
- shortness of breath
- no urine output
Safety measures during Iodine toxic situation?
- If a person is identified as toxic to iodine, it is advisable to take medical healp at the earliest. Try not to throw up unless instructed by a health professional.
- It is recommended to take milk, cornstarch, or flour mixed with water. However, avoid these ideas if the person is dealing with symptoms such as withdrawal, vomiting, low alertness, etc.
- Low amounts of Iodine in the body cause less production of thyroid hormones resulting in hypothyroidism. This condition comes with a number of adverse health effects.
- Iodine supplements are synthetic medical drugs that consist of iodine rich content. It helps to treat hypothyroidism or less iodine due to certain medical or natural factors.
- Similarly, excess presence of iodine inside a human body has similar adverse effects on an individual health.
For more details, kindly visit below.