Is sage supplement really safe for everyone?
Sage interaction with Drugs
Interaction of a substance generally refers to a potential risk that could develop inside the human body when two or more drugs, products, or medical conditions, interact with one another in a negative manner that could result in certain unwanted health conditions.
Natural herbs such as Sage are generally considered safe when taken in food amounts but might be harmful when consumed as a medicine amount like supplements. If an individual is medicating with certain medical drugs to treat any condition, there might be a possibility of interaction between those drugs and sage. This could cause complications in the condition that is to be treated or could result in new unwanted conditions.
Such medical conditions includes:
- Antidiabetic Drug– Antidiabetic medicines are used to lower the blood sugar level of the body. Rosemary might also lower the sugar level. Combination of both these medical agents could increase the risk of blood sugar level getting abnormally low which could cause complications. Such antidiabetic drugs include glimepiride (Amaryl), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), tolbutamide (Orinase), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), metformin (Glucophage), rosiglitazone (Avandia), glipizide (Glucotrol), and several others.
- Anticonvulsants– These drugs are used to prevent seizures. Taking sage along with anticonvulsants might cause an increased risk of seizures.
- CNS depressants– Sedative medicine causes dizziness and slow breathing. Similar effects could be observed when sage is consumed. Combination of both might cause very slow breathing or over sleeping.
- Antihypertensive drugs- These medical drugs are used to lower the high blood pressure in a human body. Sage is also expected to lower the blood pressure. Combination of both might cause the blood pressure to fall lower than normal rate causing complications.
- Anticholinergic drugs– These drugs are used to block the effects of a natural chemical in the body called Acetylcholine. Sage could cause an increase in this natural chemical. Combination of both might block the effects of anticholinergic drugs.
There are also interactions of sage with several other drugs such as Cytochrome P450 2C9(CYP2C9) substrates, Cytochrome P450 2D6(CYP2D6), Cytochrome P450 2E1(CYP2E1) substrates, P450 3A4(CYP3A4) substrates, etc. There could be several other medicines causing interaction with Sage in an unusual manner. It is recommended to consult a doctor or health professional to get complete information regarding rosemary and its safety with any other interacting drug.
Precautions and warnings before using Sage
Although being a natural herb that is used for a number of medical and food applications, there are certain medical conditions in a human body in which intake of Sage must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Interference of this herb could result in worsening of certain medical conditions or might cause other unwanted conditions.
Such medical conditions includes:
- Pregnancy– Consuming Sage during pregnancy is likely to be considered as unsafe. It might cause irreversible conditions such as miscarriage due to menstrual bleeding. Therefore, a pregnant woman must avoid consuming sage in such a condition.
- Breastfeeding– While on breastfeeding stage, a woman must avoid consuming sage as it is unsafe. This is concluded due to effects of sage that reduces the production of breastmilk
- Seizures– People dealing with seizures must avoid consuming sage as it may cause worsening of this disorder.
- Surgery– Sage might lower blood sugar level which might cause complications when sugar level has to be controlled during and post surgery. It is advisable to avoid consuming Sage at least 2 weeks before undergoing any surgery.
- High blood pressure– Common sage is expected to lower the blood pressure of the body. An individual dealing with hypertension must keep a daily monitoring on the blood pressure level of their body.
- Hormone sensitive– Spanish sage might consist of effects that are similar to Estrogen. If an individual is dealing with any hormone sensitive condition that gets affected by estrogen, it is recommended to avoid consuming Sage.
It is advisable to inform the health professional regarding all kinds of medical conditions an individual might be diagnosed with, before consuming sage to avoid complication of the ongoing medical condition or development of newer unwanted conditions.
Side effects of using Sage
Interaction of sage with several medical drugs and no precautionary actions against several medical conditions may cause certain unusual or allergic side effects and condition in a human body that includes:
- kidney damage
- rapid heart rate
- low sugar level
- seizure worsening
- low breastmilk production
There could be more side effects associated with Sage consumption. An individual must make sure to consume sage with proper precaution and avoid interaction in order to prevent side effects. However if side effects are observed, it is advisable to contact a doctor or get immediate medical attention if necessary.
- Sage is expected to interact with several medicines of drug categories causing more harmful effects to the body.
- Individuals dealing with certain medical conditions must discuss with a doctor before consuming sage as it may cause worsening of conditions or could develop new unwanted conditions.
- Drug interactions and medical conditions might cause several side effects and allergic reactions in the body while consuming sage which must be informed to the doctor if they persist or get worse.
For more details, kindly visit below.