Can Oregano cause miscarriage to women during pregnancy??
Oregano supplements are generally used to obtain several beneficial medical properties of oregano such as antioxidant, antiinflammatory, antiviral, etc. In addition to oregano, there are several high potential healing composites that provide supportive or additional medical properties to oregano. These herbal supplements are available in different forms namely pill, soft capsules, oil, ointment, etc. It is advisable to consult a doctor before consuming such a supplement to avoid any kind of complication with the body’s health in future.
Oregano Interactions with Drugs
Interaction of a substance generally refers to a potential risk that could develop inside the human body when two or more drugs, products, or medical conditions, interact with one another in a negative manner that could result in certain unwanted health conditions.
Natural herbs are generally considered safe when taken in food amounts but might not be pleasing when consumed in a medicine amount such as supplements. If an individual is medicating with certain medical drugs to treat any condition, there might be a possibility of interaction between those drugs and Oregano. This could cause complications in the condition that is to be treated or could result in new unwanted conditions. Such interacting medical drugs include:
- Antiplatelet/Anticoagulant drugs– Intake of Oregno along with drugs that resist blood clotting could increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. Drugs that decreases blood clotting includes clopidogrel (Plavix), enoxaparin (Lovenox), warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, dalteparin (Fragmin), heparin, ticlopidine (Ticlid), and several others.
- Antidiabetic Drug– Antidiabetic medicines are used to lower the blood sugar level of the body. Oregano might also lower the sugar level. Combination of both these medical agents could increase the risk of blood sugar level getting abnormally low which could cause complications. Such antidiabetic drugs include glimepiride (Amaryl), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), tolbutamide (Orinase), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), metformin (Glucophage), rosiglitazone (Avandia), glipizide (Glucotrol), and several others.
There could be several other medicines interacting with Oregano in an unusual manner. It is recommended to consult a doctor or health professional to get complete information regarding dill interactions with any drug.
Precautions and warnings before using Oregano
Although being a natural herb that is used for a number of medical and flavoring applications, there are certain medical conditions in a human body in which intake of Oregano must be limited or avoided in order to prevent complications. Interference of dill with medical conditions could result in worsening of such medical conditions that includes:
- Breastfeeding– There is not enough scientific evidence regarding the safety of a breastfeeding woman or nursing child when Oregano is consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid consuming oregano during breastfeeding or discuss it with a doctor.
- Pregnancy– Consuming Oregano during pregnancy is likely to be considered as unsafe. OPregano consumption in larger amount is expected to miscarriage. Therefore, a pregnant woman must strictly avoid consuming dill in such a condition.
- Diabetes– Oregano is expected to reduce blood sugar level of the body. If an individual is diagnosed with diabetes, it is advisable to keep daily monitoring on their sugar level while consuming Oregano.
- Surgery– Oregano might lower blood sugar level. It is advisable to avoid consuming Dill at least 2 weeks before undergoing any surgery to avoid complications during or post surgery.
- Bleeding disorder– Oregano has potency to decrease the formation of blood clotting. Its consumption during bleeding conditions could result in excess or abnormal bleeding than usual resulting in complications.
- Allergy– Consuming oregano might cause unusual and severe allergy in people who are allergic to oregano or any of Lamiaceae family members that includes mint, marjoram, hyssop, sage, basil, etc.
Side effects of using Oregano
Interaction with certain medical drug and medical condition might cause certain unusual or allergic side effects and condition in a human body that includes:
- miscarriages in pregnant woman
- increased risk of bruising/bleeding
- decreased blood sugar level
- trouble breathing
- stomach distress
- allergic reaction
An individual must make sure to consume oregano with proper precaution and avoid interaction in order to prevent side effects. However if side effects are observed, it is advisable to contact a doctor or get immediate medical attention if necessary.
- Oregano is expected to interact with several medicines of drug categories such as antidiabetic and antiplatelet.
- A human body dealing with certain medical conditions must avoid or at least consult a doctor before consuming oregano, especially in medical amounts.
- Such interactions with medicines and medical conditions could result in unusual side effects which must be informed to the doctor right away if identified.
For more details, kindly visit below.