What is erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is basically a disorder found in men which could be a sign of physical or psychological condition. The symptoms associated with this disorder is found in men’s reproductive organ i.e. inability to keep an erection firmer and longer enough during a sexual activity.
Erectile dysfunction is a treatable disorder which includes many possible methods such as natural remedies, alternative medicine, and prescription drugs. In this article, let us discuss about some faster ways to treat this disorder.
There are many men who experience erectile dysfunction occasionally because of stress, fatigue, alcohol, or emotional issues, but 25% of men have recurring episodes of the disorder. People dealing with erectile dysfunction will be:
- Unable to achieve erection at anytime needed.
- might achieve erection sometime but not when needed like during sexual activity.
- might able to achieve erection when needed but not long enough
Causes for Erectile dysfunction
Following are multiple reasons due to which an individual man may experience erectile dysfunction.
- Diabetes, especially uncontrolled type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Atherosclerosis (hardening of the walls of the arteries)
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Drug abuse
- Excessive alcohol or tobacco consumption
- Certain medications (antidepressants, blood pressure medications, sedatives, appetite suppressants, or medications to treat prostate cancer)
- Injury to the brain or spinal cord
- Psychological issues, such as anxiety, stress, or depression, or relationship problems
- Radiation therapy to the testicles or pelvic region
- Hypogonadism (reduced levels of the male hormone testosterone)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Surgeries on the bladder or prostate
- Lack of physical activity
Is Erectile dysfunction a part of aging
ED is a common problem among older men, but it is not a natural part of the aging process. It is possible that older men may require more sexual stimulation, such as touching or stroking, in order to achieve an erection. In addition, they may need longer periods of time between two erections. Good health, however, should enable older men to achieve an erection sufficient for intercourse.
In the absence of this, a physician should be consulted to rule out any serious underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes or an enlarged prostate. The symptoms of ED are often misinterpreted as signs of poor blood flow to the organs. It is therefore imperative that everyone with ED receives a cardiovascular fitness screening as well.
Ways to treat Erectile dysfunction.
For the treatment of erectile dysfunction, several underlying cause of the conditions are dependent. To achieve the fastest result, it is always advisable to consult a doctor to get proper and appropriate treatment which may include:
1. Change in lifestyle
Lifestyle plays a key role in treating erectile dysfunction. Following are the lifestyle factors that helps to treat or prevent such conditions.
- get appropriate rest and sleep daily
- achieve and maintain a healthy body weight
- manage your stress with certain means such as yoga, sports, etc.
- keep your body physically active
- avoid any kind of drug abuse, smoking, or alcoholic activities.
An emotional issue, such as stress, anxiety, or depression, may cause the condition, so counseling may help. In some cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by past experiences that have led to low self-esteem, fear, or guilt, and counseling can help you overcome these feelings. Intimacy can also be made more comfortable by couple counseling, which can help improve mutual understanding and acceptance.
Psychological issues may be treated with medication through a qualified psychiatrist if counseling alone is ineffective.
Medications are one of the most widely used method to counter erectile dysfunction. The effects found in these drugs may be temporary but does the job. Medications includes drugs that manage highlighted conditions such as diabetes, kidney disease, high blood pressure, etc. in addition to medicines that specifically treats erectile dysfunction. Some of the common drugs used under medications include:
- Stendra(Avanafil), etc.
If your erectile dysfunction condition is caused by low level of testosterone, your doctor might prescribe you supplements that boosts testosterone level. Also, certain medicine might be responsible to cause ED, discuss all the medicines and medical conditions before starting with these drugs.
There is a medical device called Vacuum Constriction device(VCD) or penis pump. It helps men get an erection by pulling blood flow into the penis. The device consist of 3 main parts:
- A tube of plastic that is worn around plastic.
- A pump to create vacuum.
- An elastic ring that could be moved from the end of the tube to base of penis.
Surgical treatment consist of certain implants such as penile implant or several surgeries to repair blood vessels that are already damaged. This surgery is also known as revascularization surgery.
6. Alternative therapy
There are several alternative therapies available in the market that helps in treating erectile dysfunction. Although there isn’t enough clinical or scientific data to prove their efficacy. There might be claims on such product of been 100% pure and no side effects, not every such remedies are found to be safe. Therefore, discuss the matter before starting with them.
For more details, kindly visit below.